The New York Medical College Health Sciences Library looks forward to hiring a talented and ambitious librarian to work with our researchers and university community in beautiful Westchester County, NY.
Purpose: Reporting to the Associate Director, USER Services, the Research Services Librarian designs and delivers reference and research services and identifies and promotes effective new technologies for communication and service delivery. Responsibilities include but are not limited to expert searching, reference services (in-house and remote), technical support, web content delivery, participation on systematic review teams, data support, evidence based practice of librarianship. instruction and outreach; and special projects, assigned liaison responsibilities with academic departments, and partnering with University researchers. The incumbent is expected to participate in varied aspects of the library’s operations through work on committees.
- Provides leadership in the design and delivery of accurate and timely reference service, including in-person, telephone, and virtual modalities, and search services and information delivery;
- Recommends appropriate use of new and emerging technologies in delivering reference services, education, and internal and external library communication;
- Utilizes appropriate communication tools and social media to deliver messages and information to users;
- Provides instructional workshops and classes related to information literacy concepts, emerging technologies, the use of library resources, data management, the research cycle, and orientations to the library and its services, and consultations both in-person and online;
- Develops high-quality teaching materials for classes and web-based instruction;
- Performs online searches for a variety of users, using appropriate resources from a number of vendors and in various interfaces (PubMed, Embase, Clinical Key, Web of Science, Ovid, EBSCOhost, ScienceDirect,etc.);
- Promotes the library’s role in and participates on systematic review teams;
- Develops and implements data management services for the library and university researchers;
- Works as a team member in the evaluation of new products and resources;
- Exhibits continuous improvement of subject knowledge, resources, and technology.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited school;
- Knowledge of and experience using reference resources, Internet resources, and other electronic products;
- Strong interpersonal skills, a public services orientation, demonstrated written and spoken communication skills, and question negotiation skills. Ability to work in a team environment;
- Ability to initiate and manage projects effectively, with attention to detail;
- Desire and ability to continuously improve skills and knowledge level;
- Strong computer skills, LibGuides; bibliographic management software such as RefWorks; MS Office software, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc;
- Demonstrated ability to make innovative use of technology in library services and communications.
- Reference and instructional experience in a health sciences library, preferably academic;
- Knowledgeable about sources of health sciences information, evidence-based practice, and critical appraisal of resources;
- Fluent in the use of biostatistics and statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, NCSS and/or willingness to develop these skills in support of the curriculum;
- Proficiency in data visualization;
- Educational or experiential background in the pre-clinical or health sciences;
- Teaching experience;
- Certification by the Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP).
Reporting: This position reports to the Associate Director, USER Services
Send resume with cover letter indicating position of interest to: Alicia Parrish, Employment Manager, Human Resources Department at Recruiter@nymc.edu or HR fax 914-594-4309. Candidates of interest will be contacted to schedule interviews. New York Medical College is committed to excellence through diversity and inclusion and welcomes candidates of all backgrounds. New York Medical College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.